Friday, September 25, 2009

22 Months

Wait, what?
How old?
Wow.

We're signed up for some My Gym classes, story hour at the library, and as they're very strict about age requirements in ECFE classes, we may just do the "happy hour" class at 5 instead of any morning classes in her age group. I was debating about music classes, but figured she's going to have more fun in a more active class (My Gym).

She's a word a minute now. When I say that I mean she finds one word and repeats it over and over and over for almost a minute. cup= "pup, pup, pup, pup, pup, pup, pup, pup" killer/eggo="kitty, kitty kitty kitty kitty kitty" (when they first got here I could've SWORN she changed to calling me Katie!!). She knows a TON of words and doesn't like to perform on command.

She points out about 80% of the alphabet when asked in her alphabet book. She points out shapes in her books too...with about 90% accuracy.

Potty training...wow, I think I need some pointers here. Actually, if I really tried and did nothing but potty training for 4 or 5 days, I think she'd catch on. I don't know that I'm that motivated. She's just in love with washing her hands (and face), flushing, and toilet paper! She'll sit on the potty, but can't sit there for long. Let's just say I'm looking forward to the day of no diapers and wipes...that'll be awesome.

Elmo...good golly Elmo. Actually, Elmo got booted yesterday for playing outside in the leaves! I asked her during morning snack if she wanted to watch Elmo or play in the leaves. She said Elmo (of course), so we turned him on. Then she was like, "'side, bye bye E-mo". And turned off the TV. Other than that, Elmo is much loved on her cups and in her books.

Whining=Save Me Please! I want I want I want...that's all she knows.

Sleeping = a nightmare. She was through the night prior to our move...now with teeth and new home...sigh...someday again PLEASE soon.

Nursing= 1-3 times a day yet. I know I know, all you criticizing and thinking it's ridiculous that she's 2 and nursing. But, whatever. It INSTANTLY calms her and gets her to a place she's gradually learning how to get to without nursing. She nurses in the morning and at dinner time and if she picks up all her toys and books, before bedtime. If we're out and about, she could care less. And lately, if I have a good enough juice or water or milk at hand as she runs in circles yelling "gook, gook gook" (drink), she'll settle for her cup. SO...weening is gradual, but getting there. I haven't had the heart to tell her that potty training means nursing is over...she'll learn soon enough! I don't want to discourage her from potty training, either.

When helping pick up or giving you something you've asked for, she'll often say "welcome" as she does it. The other day I could've sworn she told her new toys "welcome" when she put them to bed...who knows!?

She loves to help clean. Often pushes the broom and wants to take the garbage out every time she passes the garbage can. She asks for a paper towel when I'm cleaning and needs a new one for each surface she wipes off (each chair, desk, shelves, etc).

Using a cup without a lid is still challenging to her, but she's getting better. She'll use a straw with ease when we're out. She still loves ice...mostly now I think because it's all that can get to those pesky molars!

She's a stair pro, loving to climb up and down. Thankfully our stairs are much less steep here than in NY. I still think we'll be installing a gate, but it's not as urgent as I originally thought it would be. Mostly, if she's climbing downstairs, it's to chase the cat that's running away from her!!

She "read" Gossie to me the other day (one of her favorite books these days), saying one or two words about each page. It was pretty exciting for me.

Everything is the color green. And she loves crayons (to eat them mostly yet...) and we just got her a chalkboard easel and chalk the other day and it's covered in colorful lines. We practiced circles and ovals yesterday (I guided her hand while she held the chalk). She loved it (or seemed to anyway...). And she only tries to eat the chalk occasionally. :)

She can also perform tasks when asked...it's amazing how high her comprehension is! She'll put her dishes in the kitchen sink, wash her hands, find her clothes and socks and shoes. And makes sure I have my purse, wallet and keys before leaving out the door to the CAR CAR CAR CAR CAR. Heck, where was she when I was going to work every day?! :) She's got a rock star memory for most things. It's fun to test her limits every day!

She's almost jumping. Can stand on one leg (for a second or two anyway). She has yet to do an tumbling or anything, but loves to run! We're working on catching...but I think we're early for that yet.

She's fascinated with light switches (two are at "Q height") and when it gets dark, she makes sure they're on!!

And as I write this I hear water in the other room and assume she's in the toilet water (only seen her in there once). Nope, I was wrong. She climbed onto the toilet, onto the counter, turned the water on, and was covered in water and soap (pumped it out!!). So, I guess she knows how to do that by herself too....sigh....

Gosh, I'm around her all the time but have yet to really see what else is new in Q's life. But, there are some new developments, I guess!

As for today, we have some pudding fingerpaint ready to go and Ted, Beth, Julia and Sondra are on their way over to make a mess painting with us! Unfortunately, the temp has dropped a little and now it started to rain. Oh well, garage or house it is to make a mess!! WOOHOO!

Additionally, we'll be making a quick trip to 'Kato-land this afternoon to empty out Grandma and Grandpa's house and garage a little bit. Wow, a busy day...should get in the shower before company gets here!!

2 comments:

mls3a said...

I am a Mom who invented and patented Potty Training Rewards. It is very popular with parents. I ask that you view my website and watch the online demo. www.pottytrainingrewards.com There are many testimonials including one by the actress Brooke Shields. As parents we all go through the potty training process. I wanted potty training rewards to really allow your child to be involved in their own potty training while also having fun. You may contact me at brenda@pottytrainingrewards.com

Anonymous said...

It's great that Quinn is learning so quickly. I'm amazed at how much Hailey changes from month to month. She, too, makes sure I have my wallet, keys and sunglasses before I leave in the morning. She even unlocks the car door now! She can reach all light switches now and is much better at working the bathroom faucet upstairs. It's great when they get independent enough to dress themselves, feed themselves, etc. Potty training will come, too, when she's ready. You can't force it....probably the most frustrating of all things. Now if she'd just start letting you get some sleep again! New environment again....Took down Hailey's toddler bed today. I think she took it ok...just asked where it went! They grow up too quickly...enjoy Q while you can.

Love you,
Mom