Thursday, October 1, 2009

My Gym

Well, we finally made it to preview a "My Gym" class; fourth time's a charm, right?

I think this class is exactly what we need right now. It's an hour long and it's a great combination of sit and listen along with run around and explore! Q definitely needs help with the "sit and listen" part. (should make story time fun next week...)

The "studio" is basically a large room with TONS of climbing toys, a ball pit, a trampoline, and tumbling mats galore. The start of class was sit in a circle and stretch your muscles...Q didn't like that so much, but the teachers insist that the kids stay with their guardian...not run in circles. So, after that is 30 minutes of "free play" and every 10 minutes, the teachers have a different "fun" activity going on. Today, we climbed a ladder and then fell onto a mat and did a somersault; hung on rings; walked a balance beam carrying a ribbon; and drove a car down a ramp.

Guess which was Q's favorite?!

After that it was group time again (yep, Q kept running away). Then it was 5-10 minutes of just the kids and teachers playing in the circle..mommies were to be "hands off". Q did MUCH better than I anticipated. She was sharing balls, playing basketball, and only ventured from the group twice (towards the end )...but not towards me! So, it was good to see she didn't freak out with "strangers" playing with her and sharing with other kids older than her...a few younger. The class she's in is technically for 23months to 4 years...and she's not even 23 months yet. SOOO, I think she did pretty well. Class ended with a goodbye song. And as SOON as it ended (no lie, the last note of the song) Q BOLTED out of the circle towards her shoes and door because we said goodbye! No wanting to stay and play, no hugs for me or any teachers or anything...just, "bye bye, car car". She cracks me up.

So, they also have an hour a week of "open play" so we'll be sure to hit that up too as that was Q's favorite part anyway. It'll be fun to see how/when Q's attention span hits so she'll get invovled in the warm up and cool down of circle time. I hope for this to help all her social skills she's missing not being in day care, as well as some fun exercise for the winter months (as our trips to the playground have already declined to twice a week if we're lucky). Any little things we can do to prepare her for preschool in a few years...and to let her have fun and enjoy life!!

As for other things, the house is settling. It's nice. We got our couch yesterday and as we were getting the last pieces into the house, my "bad" shoulder popped and now I can barely move my neck. Awesome, right? Despite the pain, I was NOT going to miss the class preview today and it made my enjoyment of the gym a little less...but the time will come. SO, we may need some help with the couch and getting the rest into the house...not sure I'll be able to do it anytime soon....BOOOO! Just when it was finally feeling better and I thought I could finish the kitchen painting and maybe even start on another room....sigh. Hey, regardless, I think I'm finally to the decorating part of moving in! Hanging pictures and putting out decoration. The whole house was vacuumed for the first time all on the same day yesterday. Much to Q's dismay (she hates the vacuum again....).

Oh well, for now, I'm off to heat the neck and rest a little. The computer is not helping me so much. And BUURRRRRRR, I knew I'd miss 70 degrees....the heat may even go on within the week! Poor Q doesn't like to sleep with the blankets over her legs and she's a little popsicle in the morning....even in her sleeper jammies!!

No comments: