Sunday, November 16, 2008

Banana Applesauce Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

So, Q and I took the day off being a tourist (as we'll be touring with Grandpa and Auntie Jen in a few days). Instead, Q slept (has been missing nap time!) and I enjoyed my WOW for 30 minutes. When she woke up, we baked cookies and warmed up the kitchen!

YUMMY cookies that have FRUIT and are pretty low in sugar (for cookies at least)!!

Beat 1 c sugar, 1/2 c butter, 1/3 c unsweetened applesauce, 1 c VERY ripe banana, 1 egg.
Add/JUST incorporate (blend in) 2 1/2 c quick oats (I did 2 c quick oats and 1/2 c cooked "raw" oats), 1 c flour, 1/2 c chocolate chips, 1/2 t baking soda, 1/2 t cinnamon, 1/4 t allspice.

Bake at preheated 350 degrees for 10-13 minutes. Our oven usually bakes fast and I found 12-13 minutes was perfect. I think the extra moisture from the applesauce slowed the baking process.

The recipe calls for frosting too, but I think they're plenty sweet with the applesauce, banana and chocolate chips. The chocolate chips were my addition too, not in the original recipe. And the original recipe calls for 3/4 c butter and no applesauce. So, I was pretty excited when the cookies turned out! With Splenda instead of sugar, these cookies would probably kick bootie for those of you really watching the sugar intake.

Final product.



And Q approves...of course she loves, bananas, chocolate, applesauce and oatmeal...so why wouldn't she love them all smashed and baked into a cookie?!?!


3 comments:

Christine Wood said...

cool recipe!!!! i'll try it sometime!

Anonymous said...

Can you send some of those cookies home with Dad???

XXOO
Mom

recipe-izer said...

nice one :)
you have a nice blog ,
come by and visit mine

http://recipe-izer.blogspot.com