Monday, May 18, 2009

"The Big Question Mark"

With our moving date getting ever closer, we have begun to look more seriously at areas, schools, taxes, and some actual online tours of some houses.

We want a nice home, in a nice area, with nice people, with a nice price tage and niceness.

Our "ideal" home is getting slightly out of a "one-income" price range, though. So, yesterday began a job search for me.

There are actually quite a few great options right now. Is it what I want to do, though?

That's my big question mark and it's been on my mind ALLL day.

<>

ANYWAY, to all you mommy's out there...any words of wisdom? Anyone stayed at home, then went back to work and completely wanted to quit and go back to "just being a Mommy"? Anyone so glad they went back? Anyone want to watch Quinn or have day care suggestions?

For my ideal situation, I'd work 2-3 days a week with minimal driving and inexpensive day care...preferably within consulting or something similar to "keep up my skills".

I think I'd miss just being able to "pick up and go" without needing to get approved vacation days!

I'm also afraid I won't find the great co-workers I had in Farmington anywhere else. We really were a rare group who tended to be pretty friendly regularly. I didn't really have that anywhere else and it definitely was the hard point to leaving and moving out here.

SO--it continues to weigh my mind....what to do....and if I find a job...when to start looking!? I don't really want to have a new job, new house, and just getting back to Mn. I want to enjoy my time with friends and family out there without the stress of a new job too.

...sigh...

Quinn is still getting crazier every day. The other moms at the park were giving us looks today because she was screaming and laughing loudly. WE'RE OUTSIDE. GET OVER IT! I wanted to yell SOO bad. Especially since it was after 2 and Q had yet to take a nap....An especially long day for me considering I was up at 5. I was wiped out last night at 8 and was in bed about 9....so 5 am came quickly....but I didn't want to be in bed anymore either. So I watched the Desperate Housewives. He's not really marrying Susan again is he?! ...sigh again...

Why else is Q crazier...I scared her as she walked into the kitchen earlier and for the rest of the day she snuck around that corner and went "OOOOH!" as if I was going to scare her again.

OH, and I fell down the stairs again yesterday!!! I SWORE I was on the last stair in the basement...turns out there were THREE MORE. I think I'm okay. Bruised knees and a sore foot....we'll see how I feel tomorrow! I think it's a sign the house hates me as much as I'm hating it lately! I think the yellow is out to get me....

<>

Quinn has been sleeping pretty well at night! Most nights is 8-5...some nights up at 10 or 1....but not such a big deal....it's not every 3 hours anymore, so I could care less, honestly!!

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Where exactly are you moving to? Personally, I loved being home with Lucy last summer but I really enjoy working again too. I thought I wanted to work from home but then after I went back I realized it was the routine and adult interaction that I missed more than anything. Finding something part time would be awesome though....if you could find consulting work it was be pretty sweet!

Christine and Curt said...

yowzers! sounds like a lot to sort through! exciting! i'll pray that you have peace in all of your decision making.

marcyw said...

That is such a tough choice and I wish you the best of luck in finding what is right for you and your family.

You may want to find work before you move just as a sampler? If you buy a house that forces you to have 2 incomes, you no longer have a choice and that may leave a bitter taste in your mouth while sitting at a desk.

To be honest, most part time work is only going to pay enough to cover the daycare costs for the time you're working and the really good part time jobs start out as full time jobs.

I was afraid when I came back to work after maternity leave that it would be so hard and I would be a big ball of tears but I was ecstatic to be back. Whatever you do, there will be better days and hard days. If you already know you love to stay home, and you can make it work by compromising a little space in a house, I would say go for it! There's also always the question of what changes if you have another child. Anyway, I've thought about it extensively so feel free to e-mail me or facebook msg!

Jill said...

You know that if I lived there I would babysit Quinn, no questions asked. :[

Shanna said...

That is a tough decision. I was nervous about going back to work, but I love the interaction with adults just like heidi, but I miss Audrey and can't wait to spend my evenings with her. If you find a great daycare that you love, it's all worth it to know they are happy surrounded by other kids.

Good luck in the home search too, what city are you moving back to, do you know for sure?