Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Last Stop on the D-Train

I can't believe I cried! Yes, on the walk home from the train today, I teared up a little. The city has been good to us the last two years. Well, except for the seemingly endless humid, summer days! Q and I took a break from looking at the house and took one last chill at Battery Park and did some street shopping that I had yet to do! Yes, two years and I had yet to buy from a street vendor...oh, well, technically, Mike bought me a hat for my 28th birthday, a crystal statue when the Pierce's visited and a phone cord for my phone. But..whatever. These were MY first purchases!!

We were thankful the Salvation Army pick-up arrived early (time frame of sometime between 8am and 5pm...)...but it was also our last garbage and recycling pick-up today! Q loves Tuesdays and Fridays.



We waited for the D-train in Brooklyn, and Q enjoyed watching the one across the track head towards Coney Island.





We stopped to see the Statue of Liberty one last time.










We remembered those Coast Guards and other military people who helped fight in WWII at the memorial near the water.



Q sat in her very own subway seat on the R-train from Battery Park! I can't believe how big she's getting!



And, what subway stop is complete without a cheesy Q smile . . . and . . .



... rodent control notices.




One of the rooms in our new home will be "places we've been" themed. We have some sort of art or decor from places we've been (either together or not) and I needed some NYC art. We did get a Niagara sketch...but, nothing NYC related. I picked out a few smaller shots of various NYC areas (including the Brooklyn Bridge where you can ALMOST see Grimaldi's) and some shots of Central Park "through the seasons". I plan to do something different with that for Q's room though to help her remember her 2 years she was here! (FYI, Nikki, I may need some help with that project when I get to it). SO, Q had her last subway ride today, as did I (unless something terribly crazy happens in the next 72 hours). The slow trains made me sad...but then I realized if I had been in my car, the trip would've almost definitely been twice as long...including the walk to and from the subway and the waiting times for trains!




This may very well be my last post until we're in our new home!! My parents get in tonight to help with the final cleaning (ha ha, I say final, but I don't think they realize how much more there really is to do yet...). Mike gets back from Toronto tomorrow night. And movers come Thursday!! Off to the hotel for a night, and me, Grandma Mary and Q will be on a plane for Milwaukee Friday morning. We drive to Minnesota on Saturday ... and then the fun on Sunday of unloading our stuff!! So much to do...yet I blog about how much I should be doing. It's so gosh darn hot!!

Bye Bye, Brooklyn! You've been great to us, and we will miss you.

Hello, Minnetonka! You have some high standards to meet, good luck to you...we shall see before long how happy we are with our move.

6 comments:

Christine Wood said...

wow. best wishes with the last days in NY. Quinn will be glad to have the pictures someday!

Shanna said...

Good luck with the big move! Sounds like you and Quinn had a great day touring the city.

Mindy said...

Good luck! Moving is always bittersweet.

Carolyn said...

Quinn is lucky to have had 2 years in New York--what interesting experiences and stories she will have (that you'll have to share for her!).

Heidi said...

Awww, sad :( I'm glad you are moving here so we can actually meet...and have the girls meet! Yeah!

Jen said...

How's Minnesota? Hope Quinn is starting to feel at home. And you and Mike too. Thanks for coming over on Friday- it was a nice treat. :)