Monday, October 13, 2008

What Is Home?

I can't help but notice the lack of comments on the last few batches of photos...I'm assuming we're all getting busy enjoying the last days before the chill of winter is upon us all. I know I have also started checking in on blogs without commenting, and I apologize for that.

We are officially back to ANOTHER place we call "home". I left home (NY), to fly home (MSP), then drove through home (Point) to get to to my sister's home (Kaukauna) and then we went back home (MSP), to get a ride home (Eagle Lake), then we got a ride back home (MSP) to fly home (NY)...yet am sad that we never got home (Grafton) or home (West Allis). But as you can see, it was a busy week!

Makes me wonder if any place we ever move again will feel like home...

For Mike, Katie and Quinn--today is our first day back in "a routine". As soon as Q saw our car and her car seat, she was sleeping before we pulled out of the parking space. She has a great comfort level here in NY and it was great to see. For the first time EVER I think, she slept the whole way home, slept through us getting her out of the car in her car seat, slept through the cats meowing with excitement to see us, slept through the luggage getting stacked around her, slept through me taking her out of her car seat and up to bed...and slept for the next few hours. Not to mention I think that's the longest stretch of sleep she's had since we left 11 days ago.

And here it is at 9:30 and she's right on "schedule" with taking her morning nap. Maybe it won't be so hard to get back into a routine after all!!

I am "alone" in taking care of Q for the first time in 11 days too! We have many thanks to all--

*Nikki and Claire for picking us up at the airport

*Jill and Tim for the ride to and from Kaukauna AND the stay at the apartment

*Kristin for the place to crash--hope I was helpful with anything and thanks for the car to borrow and food to eat.

*Ann for the ride to Mankato, I'm glad it got to work out and we had a ride down there--that may be the longest time we've had in alone. Tricia and Scott have a pretty cool Mom--and Travis now too!! Thanks for the book for Q and the gift card for Best Buy. We're glad we could be helpful.

*Peggy for lending us the high chair, saucer, and horsey. It was awesome to "contain" her for a few moments every day--especially for meals!

*Grandma J and Grandpa C for being great hosts and helping take care of Q. Grandma--I walked to the kitchen to get her cheerios today and guess where I found her when I came back--yep, thanks for teaching her how to climb stairs. Really. Thanks (PLEASE, everyone, note the sarcasm here!!!). :-) She was going to learn soon anyway, you can probably take credit for encouraging her every step of the way. :-) It was great bonding for you two and I'm glad you got to see her learn and master a new skill while we stayed with you. She was also "coughing" the whole plane ride home. Guess she misses you! Grandpa--I love your truck! Thanks for lending it to me so I could go get the gang from the airport on Thursday. I think she was bored at breakfast seeing only me and my coffee--where's Grandpa & my banana?--I could see in her eyes (so she shared my AppleJacks). She misses you a ton too!

*Tricia & Travis--thanks for a great weekend of wedding festivities. It's great to see the Olinger family -- and twice in one year! I'm glad we could be helpful this weekend and I'd do it over again in a heartbeat! You are welcome to call Q your little neice anytime you want, as I'm sure you'll be her "auntie and uncle" forever. :-) Thanks for the outfit for her 1st too...it's adorable. I love the jewlery box too! Thanks a ton!

*Patty, Stan, Sara, Matt & Matt---words can't thank you enough for your help with Q. Matt, I know it was really a tough choice for you to sit and watch the basketball game...I mean Quinn. Patty--she misses the food you fed her and how you were always very focused on her and what she wanted--I was focused on Tricia and it was nice to not have to "worry" about Q. Sara & Matt, it was nice to get to chat with you as your wedding weekend wasn't so conducive to visiting. We'll FOR SURE have to plan a cousins trip this winter!! Stan--how you got her to sleep Saturday I'll never know, but THANK YOU!

I'm probably forgetting someone(s).

Off to clean the house....after staying with Jill, I'm convinced I have too much "stuff"!!

3 comments:

Mindy said...

Sounds like a really good trip. Welcome back "home" :)

Anonymous said...

HEY KT! "Home" will always be where your heart is! If you are missing WI or MN, and planning a trip, you will tell your friends you're going "home" for a visit. If Mike has a long day at work and you've had a long day with Quinn, when he calls, you'll probably say hurry "home". There have been many days when "home" for me was (is) the comfort of Nana and Jaja's livingroom or kitchen. It's really a feeling, and not always a place.

As for the travel... What a wonderful gift you are giving Quinn! You are helping her to learn the skills of adapting to different environments and situations. She is seeing a variety of people and places. Is it tough to be away from family and friends...YES! But that makes the time together all the more memorable and special.

By the way... When are you coming to see the Great Grandparents!!!

Hope this wasn't too long of a blog comment. I too am guilty of looking and not always writing, but then again, just looking takes me "home", and certainly brightens my day!

Love you all!
Peachy

TB--Milwaukee said...

You already know she's the cutest, do you really need us to say it too? ;)