Thursday, January 10, 2008

Cool Nights

The weather turned colder today...it's only about 50 degrees and sunny with less wind than yesterday. It's really a tough way to live out here.

With the warmer weather, there has been no reason to put the extra heater on in Quinn's room at night. It's not cold in there, now, by any means, but there's not a constant hum of the heater or blowing air. I was a little worried it would get too chilly for her during the night with it off, but thought I would try it out anyway as I can add blankets. She LOVES to kick (as I learned once I started to feel her move through labor and until the c-section was completed!!) and her blankets are rarely still on when I pick her up from naps/sleep (no matter how night the wrap job). Since the extra heater has been off, Quinn's first "stage" of sleep at night is 5-6 hours!! Since I was getting up every 3-4 with her just a few days ago, I'm awake and thinking there is something wrong when she's not up too!! We'll see if these stretches of sleep continue, or if she'll go back to only sleeping a few hours when the weather cools down again next week.
Prior to this, I learned from Nate and Nikki that if she was sleeping poorly at night in her room, to check the temperature. They discovered after awhile that Claire slept better when her room was cooler. Well, we'll see what Quinn's ideal temperature is. And I must admit the heater is usually on at night so I don't get cold while feeding her at night!! Our bedroom is usually about 5-10 degrees cooler (we have a heated blanket) as the overall house temperature is set to about 62 degrees. And must I add that radiator heat is amazing???

Well, back to the daily grind of dishes, laundry, and mothering.

5 comments:

Christine and Curt said...

Very interesting. It's amazing how the slightest adjustments will make a baby more comfy.

Mindy said...

It is a little alarming when your baby sleeps longer than normal, isn't it? But it's a good thing, of course!

TB--Milwaukee said...

I'll have to get you a good "shiner" picture of Caryn so you can rotate one more Brefka picture.

Anonymous said...

I think babies sleep better cooler...you all did...I still do! Quinn would feel right at home here as our house temps are about the same! Time for a visit.

Love,
Mom

Dannie said...

With the heat wave this past week, I haven't been sleeping well either -- until last night when we were able to get the apt back under 65! I'm not surprised that the little one has the same type of reaction to warmth and such. From my little experience with them, they tend to be little heat machines anyway! :-)