Saturday, January 3, 2009

Resolutions

1) DENTAL HYGIENE for the family! I haven't been to the dentist in 2 years...why? Well, the first year was pregnancy...I was lucky to be able to brush my teeth for those 10 months...heck, for the first 4 months I puked while doing it! So, a trip to the dentist was NOT on my priority list. The second year...a baby! NO excuses when there are so many a block away...really. Well, we went to the dentist in Eagle Lake...very nice practice and big windows with the snow...it was enjoyable. Until the procedures started. Stupid x-rays cutting up my gums and tongue and cheeks. Then the scraping...tartar in my mouth SUCKS. I swear it was building up as she was scraping. As she was finishing ... an hour later (not lying, it was an hour of scraping) her words were "we usually do this kind of scraping in two sessions and numb the patients, but since you're leaving today, you didn't get that option". It wasn't awful...my response, actually, was "I had a c-section, this is nothing". But, really, WTF!? I was a little sore, but honestly, nothing is worse than that pain post-op from the c-section. Especially while having a baby to lift, change and care for while in that pain.... But, back to dental...I wish they could've bagged the blood I lost from my gums too...could've gone to use somewhere! Two cavities I need to fill here somewhere...and all thanks to the sealants that have chipped off the last 2 years...thanks stomach acid & mountain dew!! :-)
SO, we now own electric toothbrushes and LOTS of floss! I wish that procedure on no one. And Q is getting regular brushings....this gum disease and cavity business is genetic!

2) At least one hour to myself every day. Goal of two hours. To do whatever I want. This can not include cleaning, showering, studying or blogging. Goal is to start to scrapbook again, read, and take baths! Maybe even enjoy the TV on the DVR instead of feeling like it's a chore to catch up on the recorded shows. We watched SO much TV in the midwest...made my mind numb. Yes, I had the choice to not watch it...but it's hard when it's there.

3) Keep up on my CDM accreditation. (See studying part of #2). I don't want to have to take the exam again! And it keeps me current on what's going on in case I go into consulting...which would be sweet! I considered getting my RD briefly in 2008. But if I can be a successful CDM consultant, 2 years of interning and getting a master's really isn't that exciting for me. I really didn't like school and to go through a grad program...nah. I'd rather be a Mom, enjoy being a wife, and continue my life knowing almost as much as an RD. Let's leave all that technical stuff to someone else!

4) Bring in the new, trash the old. Organize, organize, organize! It's also genetic to not throw things away. Just because it's in a closet or a box, doesn't mean it's cleaned up. If I don't use it, don't plan on using it, and forgot it was there...it's GONE!

5) Exercise. Ideally, I'd like to be in a routine to keep up once we're no longer walking distance from everything we need. And I'd like to be tone. So, not exercise to lose weight--don't worry all those who know my size. I need definition and endurance!

So, that's just a few things....Q's nap is going long today. She woke up crying this morning. That's not usually how she wakes up. She did make it from 11pm-5am today though! Closer and closer to 'through the night'....maybe once that last pesky tooth #12 cuts through the gum...

5 comments:

Heidi said...

I'm with you on the "me" time. My goal is to have blog year one scrapbooked in the next couple months and then keep up on it each month. Is that even considered me time though? Ha!

Christine and Curt said...

nice resolutions. i actually have always loved going to the dentist. i don't mind when they scrape...i feel like they are getting my teeth nice and clean!

Anonymous said...

I can agree that nothing is worse than post C-section pain...I came home to 4 kids under the age of 8 after mine!! Also...some things are genetic, mostly on the "Rebarchik" side. Make time for yourself...it's important. My resolution is to keep current on my scrapbooking, now that I have a Cricut...thanks to my kids!! :) :) I hate the dentist, too.

Kisses to Q...Love,
Mom

Mindy said...

Oh, your dentist story does not sound fun!
Me time is a great goal. I take a lot of baths, because once I'm in there and shut the door I figure it's not my problem. Natalie isn't sleeping? Oh, sorry, I can't hear her. Oliver needs to go out? Oh, Sorry, I can't see him standing at the door. Hehe. Add a good book and you can be in there for hours!

Dannie said...

I have a love/hate relationship with the dentist. I love it because soon I will have an amazing smile (I HOPE!) and I hate it because my teeth weren't taken care of well when I was younger so I have lots of cavities and will have to go in on Tuesday to get a chipped tooth fixed. N of course has no cavities due to sealants (my kids will get sealants as well).

Good luck with your goals! Mine aren't going so well since I've come down with a cold and have felt like crap the last few days.. Back to work tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be feeling better soon to get back on track with my goals. (Though today is day four w/o caffeine!).