Monday, June 22, 2009

The Uneventful Weekend

As our lives get busier and we ready to move, I cherish days like yesterday. We did practically nothing and it was AWESOME!

I read almost an entire 300 page book this weekend! I started it awhile back and have read about 2 pages a week for the last month. On Friday I decided I hated TV & video games and picked up the book that was practically dusty on our nightstand. And finished it at 1am this morning. I haven't read a whole book since Q was born. It felt good and I almost feel like I've accomplished something! I must admit the last few weeks I've felt more like a family of 3 than ever before. We've had nights and mornings of playtime together, and weekends of relaxation! I love Mike and Quinn more than anything and can't wait to start the next chapter of our life in a new home.

We have about 5 houses that we'd like to look at already. We're having some conversations with a few realtors this week to see who is going to best suite our needs, time commitment, budget, and find us our next home to grow our family love...and maybe a dog in the near future.

We are grateful to everyone in MN who is pulling together to help make our trip successful. We are anxious to see family and friends, and we can't wait to look at house...after house....after house...after house! After house! And to make a great deal and be happy and excited to get back "home"! A preempted thank you to Beth and Scott and Sondra and Grandma Judy and Granny and Grandpa Chuck and anyone else who may come to the cities to visit ... or who live in the cities and are housing us and helping watch Q while I borrow cars and drink and babysitting hours and advice and drinks and meals and toys and car seats and drinks and drive to house...after house...after house! :) .... after house....after drinks. I am hoping we can be around for the arrival of baby girl Kachelmeyer (oh dear...did I spell that right??) too!! It's been about 13 years or so since I've visited a baby in the hospital (that wasn't mine)! We are also excited to meet Finn and for Stacy to finally meet Quinn!! Since the 4th is a weekend, we're fairly certain that some of that time will be in Mankato and Eagle Lake visiting relatives. We are excited to be closer to family so weekend trips can be more regular and she'll get to know them all better than just voices and old pictures!

My biggest anxiety right now is how Quinn will react to a new environment for a prolonged time...and without Mike. She's very attached to his story times (I guess I don't read right some nights) and tickles and love. She's pretty adaptable yet, and I'm thankful we're staying with someone who also has a growing baby as Q is still a little explorer or her world! She has mountains of energy and it takes all the energy I have to help her explore, grow, and learn! Not to mention up the stairs...and down the stairs...up the slide...down the slide...around the block, kick the ball, chase the ball, chase after her chasing the cats...etc. She handled Dannie and Nate's relatively well considering the cramped space we had with 5 adults, 2 cats and a toddler...but the sleeping wasn't so great and she was up VERY early and scared as she didn't recognize her dark environment. I just keep remembering her attitude when we were in Boston in February (a lifetime ago I'm pretty sure) and how the littlest changes in her routine made the end of the week come SOOOO SLOWLY. If there wasn't a pool there, I'm not sure how I would have made it through the final couple days.

This trip will be loads different as she's going to be showered with love from family, other kids to play with (play next to), new cats and dogs to fall in love with (she's an animal girl through and through), new music to dance too, new zoos and parks to explore, and possible encounter the house she'll live in for her 2nd-?? birthdays! I am thankful Jill was here recently to watch her a few times to get both me and her accustomed to not spending every minute of every day together. It will make my time out house hunting while she's sleeping or playing with her caregiver for the day. But, as when Jill was here, I think we'll both be anxious to cuddle and play together when I pick her up or come back to our pseudo home. It will be one more step to weaning, as we are both very much comforted with our nursing moments. It's a time every day when we just cuddle and sing and nothing else in the world seems to matter. Very relaxing for me, and it seems to relax her as well!! Any time I can get the girl to sit longer than 2 minutes is a miracle.

Speaking of which, she's been sitting on the potty! She sat there for 15 minutes the other night. She told me she had to poop...and she sat and read and kept saying poop and nothing was happening. After 15 minutes she'd get up, sit down, get up sit down.... And this all started immediately after I said "bedtime Q". I'm pretty sure she was playing me...but, she's learning step by step....just in time to mess up routines and leave home for a few weeks to come back for a few weeks to move! But, it's nice to know the associations are there and that maybe JUST MAYBE she'll be potty trained by 2!

We have her 18 month check up today, our last music class in NYC tomorrow and then we're off to the airport early Wednesday! I can't even believe we're saying goodbye here...but that's a post for another day. As far as photos go...I really have no idea where the camera is located! Our kitchen, living room, dining room, spare rooms and tv room are all getting piled with boxes...it's somewhere...I know I haven't packed it yet...Speaking of which...time to pack some more books and not-so loved kitchen appliances!

And a shout-out to Great Grandpa Born. Hope you're feeling better...I believe Mike mentioned you were starting a treatment this week. Keep us updated and you're in our thoughts and prayers!

No comments: