Monday, June 23, 2008

Hablas espanol?

So, since I've borrowed "who hops?" from the library, I decided I've really been slacking with my goal to make Quinn bilingual..trilingual if you include sign language. SO, I looked at some of my old spanish notes (yes...from high school!!!) and some of Mike's books and guides he bought for Spain to brush up on my skills that helped me survive my trip to Guatemala 11 years ago. As far as sign language...I still have zero physical resources to help with that goal...I know good morning and most of the alphabet...

She just woke up from her nap and I went in there only speaking spanish (as awful as the grammar was). After about 5 minutes, she just looks at me and starts giggling and gives me this look like, "what are you talking about woman???!!" It was indescribable and adorable.

I find this especially interesting since I've also been reading up on month 7 developmental skills. One of the things that "they" say she'll start to do is continue her sense of humor and we'll notice her memory skills. Humor skills meaning seeing me with my glasses on my head, or a shoe on my hand, or...speaking spanish...and seeing these things as funny. Memory skills like her looking on the floor for the toys she dropped at our last meal and putting on her bib means she'll be getting food soon.

Well, she's right on track, I guess! If only she'll learn to flip from her tummy to her back! She's also been trying really hard to sit up in her crib independently. She flipped over and scooted across her crib after her morning nap...to get her singing glow worm that she can't make sing yet, but she tries.

Coming later today...photos of her interactions with Killer and Eggo! She's always like to watch them from afar. They are "getting used" to her being around and will often even hang out in the same room with us! This morning, they were so bold as to hang out on the SAME RUG together!!

How fun for Quinn!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here's a link to the publisher that Claire and I used to work for, DK. They have a lot of bilingual titles, and maybe some tapes too.

http://us.dk.com/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,9780756612030,00.html

I would especially recommend the "My First Words,My First Colors," etc series. Those used to be available in board book or regular.

Good Luck!
:) Peachy