Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Next Morning

Well, things seem to be okay yet today, despite our boo-boo.

The bottle instead of breast at night is not going as anticipated. She's still up wailing at 3:45am. She'll only drinks 3-4 ounces from the bottle...then is ready for bed. She's started doing this thing where when she's all done (mostly when I'm nursing her though the day) she'll sit up, start clapping and look for the baby in the mirror behind the chair in her room. It's cute. And at least she's not biting me when she's done! I must admit to nursing her for awhile after her bottle last night, but we were all out of routine yesterday as she missed her afternoon nap due to the 3 hours we spent travelling to & from he doctor...and the time in the office. And, well, I guess it helped a little because she was up at 4am wailing. :-)

I found a way to slow her down today...temporarily at least....


Yes, that's right. Shoes. She's kept them on for almost an hour now. Granted, 20 minutes of that was lunch (yep, see the crackers on the chair...)...but still. She only tried to chew them for a few minutes too, so that's good. These are size 3 hand-me-downs from cousin Abbie....who I believe got them from cousin Caryn. They are a little big, but they're all I have. I'm not about to spend $10 on shoes she may wear for a week or two until her feet grow again. I am bummed she did not get to enjoy the cowboy boots we bought for her in Dallas for Adam and Julie's wedding. She was having nothing to do with anything on her feet while those fit her...

Her crawl is slowed down with the shoes on and it's forcing her to crawl "normal" (if there is a normal) and not turn her toes way in to 'push' forward. This new way of crawling is keeping her in a pretty limited area where her toys are! So, she's having a blast playing with the toys we have for her instead of with everything else she shouldn't be playing with (rugs, newspaper, cords, bottles, clothes to list a few). :-)

I emptied out another tote of clothes I had in storage...to fill it up again! We have a ton of fall 18 month clothes and I'm super excited to take photos of her in some of them. I'm surprised the size range "18 month" really spans. Some of the the "18 month" hand-me-downs from her cousins are longer and larger than the new 24 month stuff we got new! I still don't understand why sizing is so different between brands. Never have, never will I guess!! And we still have 2 "9 month" onesies that fit...but she's also in some 18 month ones that are small. I don't get it!

Her new favorite past time is "look out the front door". It's also a standing favorite for Eggo and Killer (Eggo especially as he roams the house all day long looking for the sunny spots). She will sit there and watch as 'dada' leaves in the morning. At various times through the day, she'll sit in front of the door, look out and go "da da", and continue on her way. At least, it's what I've witnessed and wonder if she's really making that connection already.


You can even see me in there taking the photo of the three of them wanting to join me outside.



And it's another WONDERFUL day here in NYC. I'm so glad the weather has cooled down!! I hope it stays in the mid to high 70s through September. The down side is no rain for almost 2 weeks! I can see it dumping on us suddenly and not stopping for days and that'll suck. I feel for those down south, too though, and pray that no one else gets sucked away in the tide! I don't think I'd even try to venture further in the ocean than ankle deep when there are tropical storms and hurricanes in the area, but sometimes it's too hard to resist!

Her other new favorite game is crawl in circles around our couch in the living room. She'll disappear from my sight for a few minutes...and suddenly she appears on the other side of the couch. It's cute.

So, she has lots of fun games she plays that has nothing to do with toys! I've tried suggestions from you all from last week's post. The tupperware worked wonders while I made dinner the other night. But the next day, not as much fun...she was more interested in her foam alphabet letters from her pool time that she found hanging in a bag on our back door.

I think I've mentioned her foot obsession, too. By far, her favorite toy for the last month has been a yellow foot we stole from the Brefkas when we were in town. Auntie Claire (and Caryn I believe with help from Uncle Tom) brought over a bag of "chew toys" (I'll call them) for Q to play with. She instantly bonded with a seahorse and yellow foot. So, we brought them back to NYC with us. They're too big for Benji yet, and I really don't think the Brefka's will miss toys in their house! Let me know if you want them back someday.

1 comment:

new*me said...

I love the pics!! You should enter them in a contest..seriously!