Friday, August 8, 2008

Perfect Pitch

I'll take photos today, I promise! As of right now, she's sleeping and I'm working on baptism thank you's. Well, technically I'm blogging, but you get the picture.

For those of you who gifted us money, I decided to splurge and buy some new books instead of borrowing from the library. She is enjoying story time more (as she's not as inclined to need to put the book in her mouth). We got lots of great prayer books and bible stories from Grandma Judy and a board book bible from Auntie Krissy, so we're also keeping the faith as we enjoy snuggles and story time. We (and when I say we, I mean Quinn and myself) decided on Snoozers: 7 short stories, Pat the Bunny (touch and feel book), What's Up Duck (book of opposites and big photos!), Is Your Mama a Llama?, and a crinkle book with chewable corners (as she kept stealing Braxton's at the Brefka's a few weeks ago). Her new favorite past times these days are take everything off the lowest shelves (books, clothes, toys) or out of the bag (my wallet, keys, phone, toys, diapers, wipes, etc).

She scooted a few inches on her hands and knees today (towards the bookshelf). The feat was not only amazing because it's the first time she's moved on all fours, but because she was so ridiculously still tired it was amazing she could keep her head up. Wait...maybe it's just me that's still so sleepy...regardless...it won't be long before that's her mode of transportation! She is most successful in her room, I think, because of the carpeting. Almost everywhere else in the house is hardwood. I know I don't like showing her how to crawl on the hardwood! So, I have a feeling walking isn't far behind.

We had our music class yesterday, after missing two weeks. She squealed and giggled and smiled every time a new baby & mama came into the circle. After all the company we had last week, I think she enjoyed it after all! She seemed excited to have people to look at other than me (as most of the class is interaction with your baby and she was more fascinated with the other moms and instructor...). She joined in to "play the drum" not only by banging (in rhythm!) on the drum but my chewing it first! I was concerned as she has 6 teeth and I didn't want them chipped...the instructor assured me nothing would happen and that's how she's choosing to feel the beat. I guess she was right because after she chewed the drum, she drummed along with us! The other 3 boys were just crawling all over the drum and giggling (yep, she's the only girl in the class now as the other girl is in London visiting her grandparents and relatives).

We also have "jam session" where they play songs on the radio and we play instruments along with the music. Q was doing her normal "ahhhh" along with the song and the instructor looks at her and said "that's just amazing". I was like, she always "aahhh"s when there's music playing. She asked if I'd ever actually listened to her and I said...well, I guess I HEAR her. Apparently she "aaahh"s in perfect tone/pitch or something like that (music people would be able to tell me). Abby (the instructor) said she was doing it the whole class and assumed it was because we listen to the songs at home too so she recognized the music. But the song we listened to in class was "You can call me Al" and I know I haven't played that for her before! SO, Q listens for awhile, finds the cord and picks her "ahhh" tone. Maybe we have the next American Idol?!?! :-)

We may be heading out and about the city this weekend, Park Slope maybe while Daddy plays some pick up frisbee in preparation for his tourney next weekend in Wisconsin. And, well, then he leaves Tuesday night and will be gone almost a week (probably he'll go). So, Q and I are going to see Dannie (and Nate?) this weekend. We're trying to decide if I want to drive there or if D (& N?) will drive here. I'd love to get back to Central Park and maybe walk through the zoo, but we'll see where the next week leads us! It's been over a year since I've been to Dannie's so it'd be nice to go enjoy time there, too. We were going to go camping and hiking with them, but with her healing ankle, it's probably not the best idea (not to mention Mike and I would need to go shopping for family camping gear!!).

SO, Q's up from her really short nap so it's time to bring her into the office to get into some trouble here while I continue writing thank you's. Maybe I'll get some cute photos! :-)

1 comment:

Mindy said...

Perfect pitch, huh? How cool!