Saturday, April 19, 2008

Rice Cereal

So, for multiple reasons, rice cereal has been on my list of "things for Quinn to do" recently. Well, I also wanted Mike to get to witness it, so we attempted it this afternoon.


She has shown all the "signs" of wanting "real food"--she watches me like a hawk whenever I'm eating or drinking, and since about 3 months old she's done this. She's also been sitting much better by herself and has great head control. Her feedings have decreased significantly the last week or so--both in frequency and duration. So I've been eating a lot in hopes that she's getting the same nutrition in those shorter feedings. We'll be seeing the doctor again soon, so we'll see what he has to say. Her spit-up during the day is also still concerning me despite the "don't worry about it" advice I get from the doctor and others.


Overall, she really didn't want much to do with this process. She had no idea what to do, made crazy faces, and wanted to hold the spoon and chew on it because she thought it was a toy. I also think I waited a little too long in the afternoon to attempt it as she was already getting cranky-hungry (vs cranky-tired or cranky-wet pants or cranky-cold or cranky-hot .... they all have their own sounds).


She wasn't quite interested in mimic-ing my 'open' faces.


She made it through a few spoonfuls (as much as the soupy liquid would stay on the spoon) and was getting upset. So, I gave in to feed her already!! :) The experience must of been more exhausting than I anticipated...after her 10 minute afternoon nursing session...this is what she became...


Isn't the jean skirt too adorable (this was her 2nd outfit of the day). She was in a cute sundress most of the day but I didn't manage to get any shots of that. The jean skirt/passed out baby was too "adorable" to not get a snapshot! (yes sundress, it was close to 80 today...sorry, just had to share that).

2 comments:

Mindy said...

That is very adorable!

Natalie never did like the rice cereal, but would eat the oatmeal cereal like a champ. It was only Quinn's first time, though. She'll probably like it better next time!

Anonymous said...

Nice jean skirt.....that girl is way too cute. Cereal the first couple of times is usually a bit traumatic for both mom and baby...it will get better. Rice is pretty bland, too. I used to mix in a little fruit to make it taste better (per Dr. Berk's suggestion).

XXOO
Mom