Monday, July 14, 2008

Central Park

Well, finally. It's been almost a year since Mike moved to NYC (can you believe it?!) and he's officially been to Central Park! There are VERY few things that I can say I've done before him, let alone that Q has seen first (but we visited Central Park awhile back after a MET visit)! We didn't really know what to do or where to go in the park, so I looked up the top 10 things that you "need to" see at Central Park, how those compared to the easiest subway route, and what we could see.


View from the park edge on the south side of the park.

I turned around from this spot and this is what I saw.


Q's first carousel ride! We rode the 'famous' carousel at the park, as it was one of the top 10 things to see and do in the park! We put her on a horse that didn't move...and we were having issues with both me and her looking at the camera at the same time, but I think this shot is pretty cute. Towards the end of the ride, when it slowed down a bit as it felt like we were going at warp speed, I moved her to a horsie that moved. She did not like that, so I'm glad we stuck to the stationary horse for most of the trip!



At what age does this become inappropriate (public diaper changing)?


Yet another reminder we are in the middle of a crazy large park in a crazy large city. This was a large field in the middle of the south side of the park, Sheep Meadow. Lots of sunbathers (cancer grabbers), and folks catching frisbees and kicking soccer balls. It reminded me of the quad back at Point...except the average age here was probably 30, not 19!.


Yes, there is even wildlife at the Park. This is a bird of sorts, anyone know what bird? It was hanging out with about 10 of its friends in Strawberry Fields.


A mosaic in Strawberry Fields serves as a memorial to John Lennon, who apparently was shot dead here in NYC on my first birthday (we seem to 'like' assassination days as Q's birthday is JFK's assassination day...).


I THINK this is the museum of Natural History, but no one quote me on that. If anyone actually knows, feel free to post what it really is. Either way, it looks pretty cool, no?


Bethesda Fountain as seen in "One Fine Day", "Home Alone II" and "Godspell". It was big, it was a fountain. We bought a raspberry lemon crepe from the guy running the stand to the immediate right behind the fountain.

We found a shady spot to enjoy the crepe (Q's face was priceless, but not caught on camera). We joined the hundreds of others who hopped fences that plainly stated to not hop the fence due to recent seeding...probably fertilized too, but what doesn't kill you or make you sick, only makes you stronger! Q hasn't shown any signs of sickness yet, either, so I think we're good.


Yep, Q even got some quality time out of her stroller and enjoying the view from the top of the world (or Daddy's shoulders!). Not quite stable enough to let her enjoy it without ensuring she's not going to fall from that height. When she learns to grab on when she's being held, then maybe we can graduate to enjoying the top of the world more solo-like.


If only I had a pedometer yesterday...we walked miles and miles and miles and miles. Thank God we chose such a beautiful day to go visit the park! Well, it was Mike's idea, but still. It was a great day to go! My feet still hurt (partially due to the fact that I can't find a pair of shoes that my feet like!)...I think tomorrow will bring a day to get a pedicure to help ease the feet pain!

As for now...off to make dinner (breaded pork chops, some veggies and prolly potatoes....).

4 comments:

Mindy said...

Looks like a SUPER fun day again!! Your supper sounds yummy. I love pork and have been on a pork chop kick lately!

Heidi said...

I've only been to NY for 48 hours but managed a trip to Central Park - it's gorgeous! Q is adorable by the way - I love reading your blog, it gives me an idea of what the (very near) future holds for us :)

Jill said...

I wouldn't trust Tim to have my children on his shoulders, but it looks like Mike has great shoulder skills. Maybe we'll have to get pointers in a few years.

marcyw said...

Nice! That park is amazing. It seems crazy to see so many sunbathers with no water! You never really think about it living around 10,000 lakes I guess!