Sunday, March 22, 2009

She's HOW OLD?!



Sixteen months ago I was holding a screaming baby, in complete pain from a new incision, alone in a hospital room with no pain relief in sight.

OH, and it was Thanksgiving Day.

OH, and it was Quinn's birthday!

What?! It's been 16 months? Where the heck did that time go!? I'm still in disbelief.



But as she walks around the house and tries to say words...I'm amazed each day. She was sooo excited when I walked into the dining room with cheese on her lunch plate..."cheese cheese cheese!" she said...before I explained what she'd be eating.

I think she was relieving childbirth and her first hours of life without her Mommy or Daddy this morning (Mommy in post-op as there was no room in the inn and Daddy at home getting some sleep!!). At about 1:22am (hmm...right around her birth time) she woke up crying. I went in, asked her what was wrong, we sang a song, read a book, changed her diaper and down she went. She was tired. For the next 20 minutes I listened to her whimper escalate to a scream. I fed her (oh, yeah, she's nursing again...but just at night...I'm not sure what Friday was all about). Sang. Put her down. 20 minutes later she's screaming. I go in there, check her diaper, give her tylenol (last two eye teeth popping in I think), put her down.




Still screaming 10 minutes later...I decide to try feeding again and she accepts greatfully (an hour of crying makes on thirsty, I guess).

After 10 minutes (Mommy dozed and lost track of time) nursing, I release her and she seems calm. Put her to bed...screams. Tell her, Quinn, it's nighttime, goodnight, I love you, a million times please sleep.

At about 4:30am Mike finally got out of bed as she was STILL crying. She had a few breaks, but yes, was pretty much crying from 1:30-4:30. Daddy let her out of her room to play. She ran to the bed and pointed to my nose and said 'NOSS', then pointed to hers, then Daddy's. Really...how can you stay angry at that? It was sooo cute...but really...does she have to be sooo cute at 4:30am? I was hoping to get some sleep during this time...but...she played until about 5:15 or so...and slept until NINE O'CLOCK...ish. It was great...but bittersweet. Sleeping from 11:30-1:30 and then really being mostly awake for 3 hours, then a few more hours of sleep does NOT make for a happy Mommy.

So, I opted out of the blood drive today (besides I've been dizzy all weekend and didn't think giving blood was a great idea). And we enjoyed a day at home relaxing, not doing much.

It was sheet changing day, so Quinn played on her mattress OUTSIDE of her crib for awhile.

And showed me her foot.....



...and fell.



She's a crazy little spunky girl who loves to be silly.

She's tiring. :) AND she played QUIETLY and SAFELY for about 20 minutes in her room today. I guess "she's tooo quiet" isn't going to be a hint that she's getting into trouble anymore! She's just playing!!!!

And, of course, thoughts and prayers out to Jim, Stacy and Finn tomorrow!

Hope everyone's enjoying the seemingly spring weather that may stick around! Daffodils are in full bloom and tulips on their way. We're headed to the botanical gardens next weekend (probably). Trees, grass, flowers...I won't forget the allergy meds, I'll tell you that!!

No comments: