Friday, March 6, 2009

Weaning

Hope you enjoy today's photos. The Harley shirt is from my sister's neighbor! They're little girl wore it (alot from the stains that are on it) and well, it's Harley so I took it. You can see from the photo what exactly I mean by pants not really fitting her. Maybe she wants to be a plumber??



She's such a little sh**...just look at that grin as she knows she's doing something wrong....sitting in the drawer and going for the stuff in the drawer above it! I'm usually very strict with this rule, as is Daddy, so she posed as she saw the camera and was getting away with it!







So far so good. I managed to eliminate one feeding yesterday. But I think skipping that feeding led to her boycott of dinner and going to bed with a fight.

Yes, she would only eat Apple Jacks. She had beef, potatoes, green beans and bananas...all her favorites by far. And she refused to eat any of it. Just shook her head "no" violently while screaming "ahhhh".

So, she had a handful of Apple Jacks for dinner. She then wanted to nurse, so I did so (as it's our routine...dinner, nurse, chase, stories, bed...every other night it's dinner, nurse, bath, chase, stories, bed). Then we ran around her room and the upstairs. Then she got 4 stories (one more than usual...as if that'd make up for a missed nursing session...). And she was tired, so I laid her down, kisses...blah blah blah, and left the room. 5 minutes later, she's screaming. I go to check on her, open the door, and the tears stop. So, she's not hurt, she's just playing games. I lay her down, give her her blankie, and tell her it's time for nigh nigh. She screams for dada and well, Dada works late on Tuesdays and Thursdays (study nights at work). I tell her, there's no Dada to save you, it's time for nigh nigh. I tell her I'll stay and sing with/to her, but I won't hold her because she's a big girl now. I say if the crying starts again, I will just leave. She manages to contort her arm in a way that looks painful but is obviously a trick she's been working on because before she continues to cry, she looks to my face for a reaction. I give her none, so she starts the "oh, mama, it's so painful; but it's really not i just want attention" SCREAMS. I tell her, "nope bedtime. you're screaming, I'm leaving". I left and not 20 seconds later her room was dead silent.

Of course she was still up 2 times that night with none of the tactics working...so after about 20 minutes and the same technique I used for bedtime FAILED...she gets fed both times. I just don't have the nerve to not feed her. Wish I could've started that no feeding her thing earlier!

Overall, our routine has changed quite a bit this week, and from what I've read, that tends to mess with sleep schedules and insecurity at this age. Guess I will have to move a little more gradually. I no longer nurse her as soon as she wakes up (with the middle of the night exceptions). She has to wait 30-60 minutes, or until after her meal. Oddly enough, when I nurse her before a meal, she eats much better.

SO, as the weeks go by, I'm sure there will be venting as to how things are going.

Tomorrow, I'm leaving Q with Mike for a bit to get get a pedicure (he has yet to know this). It's been since before Christmas! My toes and feet are sad. I was going to take Q with me and go today, but decided I'd enjoy it more without here there and tomorrow.

We also hope to get to the zoo, get our taxes done, get the PC fixed, and get a new garage door opener (how did I manage to lose the old one?--I blame Rebarchik genes and memory). Quite honestly, we'll be lucky if one of those things gets crossed off the list! With the predicted highs in the 60s, I hope we get out for a bit!

3 comments:

Jill said...

I love that pedicure place. Have a good time. I will be there in spirit.

new*me said...

those are some of the best pics!!!

Weaning is hard! It's more difficult emotionally than it is physically.

Good luck with the tough task ahead!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your pedicure. Your sister, Kristin, has some insight into your problem....call her. WE ALL feel for you, but it's time to wean her....group consensus. Claire and Krissy are both done and both boys sleep well through the night. I never dealt with that problem, so can't help much, but I'm here for you to "vent" anytime.
We missed you at the party today!
xxoo
Mom