Thursday, September 25, 2008

Just One Thing I Hate About New York

....how it takes AN HOUR to go FOUR MILES.

We decided the cat food needs to change because they've been smelly as all get out lately (mostly since we changed cat food). So, I hit up the nearest Petco, also hoping Q would be entertained by the fishies, gerbils, hamsters, birdies, and (if we were lucky) kitties or puppies. She loved the aquarium when we were there (Claire K would love the Aquarium here, by the way, with her love of bugs and snakes and reptiles) in March, but the fishies weren't so interesting to her...not even the big floor to ceiling tubes of bubbles. The adorable kitties that need adoption, also not very exciting. The gerbils were sleeping so she didn't really see those. No reptiles to enjoy. But the birdies...wow, her face lit up! Of course, the one she liked the most was $400! And, no, we're not getting a bird. Eggo would have the thing dead in a day, if it would last that long. We watched the birdies for almost 15 minutes. So, she had a good time..but I'm no longer 'in the system' for a card...I'm guessing it's because I got it in Minnesota, but we'll see if I can track myself down online. :-) And the nice lady gave me the $9 off the cat food even though my card was here (we'll be okay for awhile as the 20# bags were on sale!!).

Our experience at the store was good and I was pretty excited when I saw there was one close. I am still leary of going to stores in neighborhoods I don't know...as you never know which area the store is in and if I should go alone. I google maped it on did street view and the area looked nice with a nice parking lot, so I packed up Q and we were off (after tracking down our neighbor to move his van so we could get out...which is a whole other issue during the day.).

I did not account for the fact that there was no good "freeway" way to get there and the GPS would take me on "the shortest time" route. That route took AN HOUR.

To go FOUR MILES.

Thank God Q ate well (2 "cubes" of veggies, half a biscuit, 1/8 c oatmeal, 2 slices of cheese and 2 ounces of OJ) for lunch and that it was her naptime and she was tired...

Mommy, however, only had one cup of DECAF coffee this morning and wasn't in the mood to sit in "side street" traffic....with no good escape route to the Belt Parkway.

Next time: take the Belt Parkway...it'll only take 30 minutes.

Yes, it will probably still take 30 minutes to go FOUR MILES.

I miss the midwest......can't wait to see it in ONE WEEK!

4 comments:

Mindy said...

wow. that would bug me, too

Christine Wood said...

WOWZERS. That is frustrating!!!! You could bike faster than that!

new*me said...

Traffic is the worst!!! I hate wasting time.....I always think about how much I have to do.

Anonymous said...

You still live in one of the coolest cities right now.. :)