Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Thinking About Job Hunting

Some of you know the job market these days and how difficult it can be to find employment that you are pretty sure you will enjoy regardless of pay and hours. Yes, those things are important when job searching, but sometimes you just want to work.

Well, my thoughts and prayers have been with my brother who has had some difficulties finding employment closely related to his expertise: woodworking & cabinets. It turns out he has a great knack for painting "within the lines" per se...he helped with edging in my parent's house when they painted a few rooms and he apparently has a very steady hand, as it looks wonderful! I will hire him for sure to do any painting I may need done in the future.

He has been applying for jobs anywhere (Costco, Target, ShopKo, Taco Bell, etc) but turns out when you have experience in painting, counters, and cabinets you are overqualified to run a cash register or make burgers. So, he was out and about the other day and saw a sign on a counter installation shop that stated they were looking for employees. As he has 2 years of experience in this, he stopped by to see what was available. Turns out the "boss" loved his background experience and was excited to have someone help out with installations as they are short-handed. After today's physical, he could be employed!

He may also have a second job working at Papa Murphy's in, what sounds like, a more part time management-type role as he is older and more capable than the others in town to work independently. So, the money could be flying his way soon!

His job hunt has opened my eyes to any future employment I may search for, at some point ever. It makes me wonder that if his background couldn't get him a "starter" job, how high will I have to set my employment search? I find it hard to believe anything is more challenging than being a Mom day in and day out!! Some days get long and I wish there was a way to get me contributing to the family financially, and logically. Right now, my place is at home, but maybe that will change in future days as Q ages and would benefit from more daily socialization prior to school!

We're so excited for you Uncle Joel and we hope to have news of employment this week!!! And as always, if you need someone to call for support through those early mornings or anything ... I'm here for you (as 6am is 7am here and I'm usually woken up by the little one by then!). :-)

6 comments:

Jill said...

Yay for Joel. He's had better luck than I, as well. Let him know I'm jealous.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the support you and Mike have shown JJB. Let's hope this is the start of a new life for him and Hailey!

XXOO
Mom

new*me said...

jobs are hard to come by right now. When you get one,hold onto it tight, until something better comes along.

Heidi said...

Jobs are hard to come by right now...I've been looking since we moved here and have yet to find something up my alley. Hope it turns out well for your bro!

Anonymous said...

Job search is the most hard thing to do if you don't really know where exactly you're going to start..So you should be able to define first the job that you wanted and for sure you'll going to be guided..

Dannie said...

So very exciting!! :-) I really hope he gets the jobs -- it will be so great for him and for your family!