Monday, September 8, 2008

No Gerber, Thank You

So, we've had a picky eater on our hands the last few weeks. Mostly since she discovered that she can feed herself and since we went to Wisconsin. At this time, Babies R Us had a sale on Gerber foods. I thought, yay! Room in the freezer. Well, it would take 3, sometimes 4, seatings to get her to eat one container of food. That was odd to me, as she'll eat a quarter cup usually no problem (of various fooods). I figured she was in a growth slump (which she was as her wt was stable and so was her ht).

After seeing how great Seth was eating, I decided it was probably the Gerber foods that Q did not like. So, back to pureeing and freezing. She still gets some foods "whole" but the majority of her meals are still semi to full liquid puree. Once she gets her bottom teeth in to make 8 total, I think whole foods will be easier to eat. Although she did eat half a turkey burger, 1/8 of a tomato. 1/2 slice of cheese and some pickle to the other day for lunch with no problems....she's such a goofy girl. I really can't tell what she'll eat and what she won't! One of her new favorites is strawberry preserves on toast (of course I barely put any berry on it as the sugar content is pretty high, but she loves the chunks of strawberries!!).

So, the moral of the story is now I have a bunch of Gerber purees that she will hopefully eat at some point...they should travel nicely with us in a month....I may just have to sneak one in on her every now and then!!

She's definitely starting to fit her body now too. As she stretches and stands and reaches, her torso thins out and her extremities gain strength. It's so crazy to think about how much she has learned in the last 2 months.

Daddy showed her how the baby gate worked last night and now it's one of her favorite toys. I forget to share some key information with him sometimes...like, if you don't want her to know how to do it, do it when she's not looking--better yet, when she's not in the room! It's a good thing the gate is steady!! :-)

Anyone else have babies who liked to chew on the bedrails? We've fashioned towels wrapped around the top as she's starting this more and more lately....

9 comments:

Christine Wood said...

i think they make bedrail guards for babies that like to chew. i remember my sister totally chewing on her crib when she was little and my parents buying something to cover it. the whole baby diet thing is so intriguing to me. i happen to love eating the fruity baby foods...it's like having candy.

kborn said...

the reviews on the plastic things are terrible. the part of the crib she's chewing on is not straight, either, so i'd have to cut and work it just right....unless there are other suggestions out there??

Carolyn said...

Ok totally random question, but is Mike a mentor?? I run the mentor program and I came across his application, and was like, well there's the Borns in Brooklyn, and maybe it is a small world after all. . .

Carolyn (Christine's sister)

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how much that little girl is growing! I finally got caught up on your blogs. Mix the Gerber fruit in with her cereal maybe. About the chewing..none of you did that...I fed you..Hee, Hee!! Can't wait to see her in October.

Love and kisses...
Mom

kborn said...

MOM!!!

new*me said...

I'll have to take close ups of our cribs......totally chewed through white paint down to brown between that age and about 18 months! Cribs should come with rail guards....they used to!

Jill said...

IKEA actually has bedrail guards for cheap.

Heidi said...

I had no idea I was in for bedrail chewing. Maybe wrap the curvy part in a towel and tie it down with ribbon or something? Sounds like a fun project.

Anonymous said...

Hey KT!

Talked to my friend at the baby store here. They offer two items to protect against crib chewing. The first is by the American Baby Company, simply called Crib Rail Guards. They are cloth and wrap around the edges. The one for the standard crib measures 7" x 47" and attaches with velcro. The one for a conversion crib is 18" x 47".

The second one is Gummy Crib Rail by Kidcushion. That attaches with a double stick adhesive, that says will not leave marks on the crib.

If neither of those work, she said rub a little chili pepper sauce along the edges! Her two kids survived that.

Love you!
Peachy